Controls

This section concerns all Controls issues that you may encounter during your beta-testing. When commenting/reporting, please make it as detailed as possible. πŸ™‚

Cope-Com ________________________________________________________________

34 Responses to Controls

1. Kamelito says:

We’ll do

2. Kamelito says:

Open cope com site underground safari on thΓ© iPhone
    Put your thumb on the middle of the screen (you have to be able to scroll in all direction) now rotate your thumb in all direction while not moving your thumb you’ll see that safari will move in all direction so to me it’s precise enough πŸ™‚
    It could also be tested with the magnified icon.
    It could be another joystick option not replacing the existing one.

I see what you mean πŸ™‚ I can get some decent movement with the magnifying class, though not really too impressive considering we need action πŸ˜‰ … and seemingly not in downward directions?! With regards to scrolling on an internet page (zoomed in, to allow movement in all directions) I don’t really get any movement?! Did I understand it right?

3. Kamelito says:

If think there’s a bug or maybe just a negative side effect in the control mechanism.
    I was playing using the virtual pad and I got a call, after the call I resumed BS and the ship was moving in the upper right position, I died and it was that way until I touched the pad again. Its seems that you’re storing the joystick position and when the game is resumed you put it back. I didn’t noticed that problem while pausing the game and resuming it so its just a problem with incoming calls (same should goes for SMS, notification…)
    It would be better to reset the joystick to normal position when returning from a call etc.
    You better check also for others input device method.

The joypad code is not quite perfected yet, so what you describe could very well take place. I think the problem is that it just continues your latest movement “forever” until you touch the joypad again πŸ˜‰ I think it should just be reset… Thanks πŸ™‚

Hi Kamel, I fully understand what you mean in the description above (and I thought there was good reason for you to be right). When I tried to reproduce it I could however not make it happen?! I might have corrected it as part of something else, so please check if you can make still it happen in beta3. Thanks πŸ™‚

Martin

4. Kamelito says:

I’m no fan of the virtual joystick you know that but I tried to play BS using it and I notice one thing.
    The way you’ve to handle the iphone in portrait mode to play using the virtual joystick force you to have (if you right handed) your thumb oriented at about 40-45 degrees to the left. It is to me then difficult to play that way, I don’t know if the virtual pad should be rotated with the same angle… (it’s weird and will not be understood).
    It force me to think that its why many virtual pad are a copy of a real joystick see C64 emulator [edit link: Akismet] for instance with joystick like these it doesn’t matter if your thumb is not aligned vertically, you still could do all direction pretty well.
    If you intend to play by just moving your thumb in the desired direction (without moving it) then having the thumb not aligned make it difficult to reach some positions (upper right/lower left/up and down) because your finger do not cover these postions entirely (because of the thumb postion in portrait mode)

I’m not sure I was that clear πŸ™‚

Phewww… that is a difficult one to understand in writing πŸ˜‰ The joypad should switch side after 5 seconds, if you don’t touch it, so there should be no fundamental difference between left and right handed play. Let’s assume the joypad is on the right hand side (I assume this). I can see what you mean with the 45 degrees, I think, but in practice your thumb, at least mine, is more coming from the bottom than the corner. This makes the angle almost 0 degrees (joypad is straight above resting position). Not sure I catch the second part… but I don’t think it is technically possible to have a joypad where you don’t move your thumb… the hardware simply would not detect the “movement” properly… but I could be wrong πŸ˜‰

5. I should add that I’m only testing the iPad version, so the experience may be different on iPhone / Touch.

Thanks for the clarification. It is important to know. My own experience is for example that some things… for example a finger “getting in the way” is less of an issue on iPad…

Comments are closed.