Other

This section concerns all other issues that you may encounter during your beta-testing. When commenting/reporting, please make it as detailed as possible.Β  πŸ™‚

Cope-Com
________________________________________________________________

72 Responses to Other

1. kamelito says:

Wider audience…I already said this but here it is again :
    1) Possibility to use tunes from your itunes library we all know kids love their own musics.
    2) Its all about sharing so you need to have highscore posting to social network facebook being the first to shoot at. A worldwide highscore site could be cool too.
    3) 2 players mode using bluetooth, wifi, and internet so I can play with anyone in the world.
    4) you always need be able to get in touch with your clients, so you need notifications, like hey your facebook friend beat your score play now, mister x is now the world braviest aviator, you could also do thing like USA vs Europe vs whatever country or even town. So you could have world best high score, country best highscore, town best highscore. But always inform your clients that x or y beat them. Remember the queen in white snow who is the most beautiful woman in the world kind of thing. You could even use that in the game go to the mirror room and ask if your the braviest aviator and give the player the answer πŸ™‚ if they’re willing you could even use real photo to show it in the mirror. (or is the USA still the braviest aviator country…)
    You need also to do that in facebook, I log in in facebook and I see a post of a friend who did a better score that mine…
    Of course you should also inform them about new feature, new games that you’ve done etc…
    I understand that you need to ship as fast as possible but speed is not hurry (in french “ne pas confondre vitesse et prΓ©cipitation”.)

• Eric says:

Why Facebook? Why not OpenFeint or Game Center? Personally, I can’t stand Facebook, and I never use the Facebook integration in any games that offer it. I think services like OpenFeint and Game Center are much more geared towards scoring competitions anyway.

I guess each one has different advantages over the other? And each one may have a different “cliental”? Did not really use either yet. Game Center is probably a “must”, and we will have to see about the other ones along the way…

Hi Kamel, Thanks for all the details πŸ™‚ They are all relevant to implement. We will include Game Center, which I guess would be useful for the high-score list. “Nes pas?” The idea with having US against EU etc. is a brilliant, especially with the feedback that somebody beat their high score πŸ˜‰ … and love the idea with possibly having a real photo etc. FaceBook could work out great as well. Playing over Bluetooth and possibly wi-fi will come in an upgrade of BS ONE that follows (will require extensive coding). It is probably not possible to play over the Internet due to lag… but it could be. All great stuff πŸ™‚ … but we do also have to get BS ONE out in the near future πŸ˜‰ … we will see how much is “realistic” to include…

2. Kamelio says:

Why not put an option to switch to easy mode automatically if the player die too often?
    But for now even the easy mode is not that easy

Hi Kamel,
      Reading all the comments, one good solution could be to have the game begin in easymode as default πŸ™‚

• Eric says:

As a general rule I would agree with you on this, Cope-Com, but consider the target audience: former Amiga players first, retroists second, and everyone else third (at least the way I see it). As I said elsewhere, I think it’s okay to have Amiga as the default difficulty setting, because the reality is that most people that play their games on easy are probably in the habit of checking the options screen first anyway.

These are both very interesting comments. The automatic detection is an interesting idea… but it could be too late by the time it is “registered”, e.g. 2 lives lost in 30 seconds πŸ˜‰ At the end it will be a judgement call whether to start up with “Amiga mode” or (updated) “Easy mode”. If “Easy”: Amiga players may assume the original version is of course an option. If “Amiga”: new players would presumably go to settings if it is too difficult πŸ˜‰

Additional note: we are definitely expecting previous Amiga players to be the initial group of buyers of BS ONE πŸ™‚ It is very difficult to predict, but we are however hoping to have new players included as well – you could for example imagine kids who want to play the same game their dad played πŸ˜‰ Any ideas how this could turn out or be enhanced?

• Eric says:

I’m not quite sure what you’re asking. How what could be enhanced?

Well, it is more of a commercial question. How could we make new players interested in BS ONE? Would they just think it was “old” and boring? Or could we find some way to make fx. teenagers “notice” BS ONE and find it interesting?

• Eric says:

Sorry I’m posting this weird, but didn’t want to end up with something like two words per line. The question of making it appealing to more modern audiences is a good one. It’s hard for us “old school” players to relate because I think we love the old pixel graphics as much as the new 3D stuff (at least I know I do). Still, I think a lot of newer gamers will see the appeal as well. It’s not like we’re talking Atari 2600 or anything like that, and given that the Amiga was way ahead of its time visually, the graphics hold up pretty well.

This may be one of those “wait and see” things. Maybe if there seems to be a lot of grumbling about the visuals you could eventually offer an IAP that overhauls the graphics with a more modern look.

Now this is assuming you’re just referring to graphics. If you’re questioning the game as a whole, I don’t think there’s a need to worry. The nice thing about the scrolling shooter genre is that it realistically hasn’t changed all that much since it was invented. Sure the level designs might be a bit more flashy and there are a few extra power ups or such, but the core concepts still remain the same. I think that’s part of the reason I love the genre so much.

Hi Eric, Thanks for the feedback. We were kind of hoping that BS would be just exactly “nice enough looking”, considering it is 21 years old, to hopefully still make it in the modern world πŸ˜‰ We will see what happens πŸ™‚ … difficult to predict…

3. kamelito says:

So you’re its an iphone/ipad game, this mean that you’re in the Apple world, meaning ipod too so music. We can assume I hope that many non Amiga people will bought your fantastic game, but they may wanna play by earing their own music library, music that suit their taste. Don’t get me wrong I love Ron Klaren muzak, same goes for Paul Van Der Valk. But an option to select music from itunes could be interesting for non geek, in this mode we can assume that people don’t want other sounds so sounds fx could be disabled in this mode.

PS how about a teaser of Hybris HD from within BS (could be maybe in app if free :)) or for those who were the braviest aviators πŸ˜‰

• Jeppe says:

Your comment gave me an idea. I personally don’t care about playing other music while playing a game. Especially in this game where the music is awesome, but maybe some remixes of the Battle Squadron music could be included and available to switch to in the game πŸ™‚

• Eric says:

I like the remix idea, but personally am not a fan of the “play your own music” thing. I guess I get why people like that option, but none of my music would suit most of the games I play. Besides, as a general statement I feel that functionality gives developers an excuse to be lazy and not come up with music on their own somehow. Obviously that is not the case here, as the music in BS is great.

Hi Eric, I think that most players would also stick with the original ingame music… possibly a remix. Since we do have the scores in there it could however not hurt to have the option to play something else πŸ˜‰ but as mentioned above we would probably put that on hold for possibly an update – to focus on finishing up the game for App Store πŸ™‚

• Eric says:

I’m not saying developers shouldn’t take advantage of the iTunes library feature, I just don’t like when they do it in place of having native music. At any rate, it’s probably a good idea to add, and I think leaving it out until the first update is even better πŸ™‚ I’d like to see you get this out as soon as you can, because the App Store always needs more good scrolling shooters.

Hi Jeppe, Yes. This is a very interesting idea. We actually thought about this a couple of months ago πŸ˜‰ There is an issue with app size, since if you want to download the game via a 3G network you should not exceed 20Mb… and we want to allow this. We will keep it in mind though πŸ™‚

Hi Kamel, These are both very good idea. The first one regarding “alternative music” should be possible. I however think I would like to wait for a future update, since it will require some extra coding… Also, a very good idea with the Hybris demo ingame for the bravest Aviators πŸ™‚ There is actually already now a bit of a teaser when you complete BS ONE… but not as of now for Hybris πŸ˜‰

4. kamelito says:

One or 2 important things.
    1) is it possible to disable the notifications while playing, let’s say I play a game and I don’t want to be disturb I need to do that in the Iphone preferences. Is it possible to do that from within the game? If so it could be a nice addition, via settings. I suppose that phone call can’t be disabled (flight option) who knows what can happens, urgent call should always be taken, and as you can’t predict them….
    2) is related to the first one, if you receive a call, or a notification then it pop-op, the problem is that when you hang up, cancel the phone, or the notification you return to the game, and its still playing. It should be very welcome when you come back to BS to have the game paused, this way you could see in which trouble you’re and try to not die πŸ™‚

Hi Kamel, That is a very good point. Indeed it has now been set up exactly like you suggested πŸ™‚ The game pauses when you get an sms or phone call, and you can take or ignore the sms/call. It is how Apple recommends it should be done πŸ˜‰

Regarding point 1: I don’t believe it is possible to generally disable notifications… would have some undesired consequences like you mentioned πŸ˜‰
      Regarding point 2: This has now been fixed with multi-tasking compliance πŸ™‚

5. kamelito says:

I like the idea of energy bar, but like you say in a previous post be sure that the Amiga settings play like on the Amiga version even if difficult (you know Amigans…:))
    Don’t forget also that for now all you’re thinking of to make the game a better experience should also be applicable in 2 players mode if not then the game will be too easy and we don’t want comments like I paid x and I finish the game in 15minutes πŸ™‚

Yes, we don’t want to disappoint any Amigans πŸ˜‰ That is why we chose the 100% Amiga version as the default. But definitely, it will also have to be a good experience as well πŸ™‚

• Eric says:

Despite my yearning for an Easy mode, I think having the Amiga mode as the default is a good idea, especially since this is an Amiga port. Those who want an easy mode will have no problem searching for it – trust me πŸ™‚

Yes, our gut feeling is also to start with the Amiga mode. There is however the danger of scaring people off if they find the game too dangerous πŸ˜‰ We will have to see what we do when we have made the game a bit easier (several comments on that). Love your last comment πŸ™‚

Martin