Battle Squadron ONE – iOS/Android

As the sci-fi adventure continues…. once again the brave pilots of Battle Squadron must stand up, engage and fight those nasty looking Alien monsters in order to save the Earth.
Working on porting the classic games to various formats.
09.04.2012 Battle Squadron ONE was released on Android
17.09.2010 Battle Squadron ONE – iPhone/Android, developer’s demo
07.09.2010 Battle Squadron at Royal Library – one year anniversary
26.08.2010 First mobile release – Battle Squadron ONE
05.08.2010 Hybris and Battle Squadron Ringtones
22.07.2010 Battle Squadron on Mobile devices
09.07.2010 “Lost” Art from Battle Squadron
28.06.2010 Aviators (Battle Squadron 2) on Youtube.
13.06.2010 Added post on game change.
22.05.2010 Added female character screenshot.
14.05.2010 Screenshot Aviators post-production ingame character.
08.05.2010 Development will continue on a general development system.
06.05.2010 Testing various game developing specs on Battle Squadron/Battle Squadron 2.
Testing original/extended/extreme version + new levels + new design/game.

Copyright 2013 Cope-Com

86 Responses to Battle Squadron ONE – iOS/Android

1. oll says:

im having problems with relative touch control and 2x rel touch control on a 2g ipod. i bought the full version not the lite one thinking that the lite version would be missing something (my own mistake i guess) but i cant get the touch controls to work. i can only move in 1 diagonal (back/left forward/right)

im upset now as i bought the expensive version for no reason and the controls arnt working properly!
    ever heard anyone with a similiar problem?

awesome game otherwise though (from what ive seen on videos!)

Hi oll, Very sorry to hear that. It is indeed a very odd problem. I specifically acquired an iPod 2nd generation to test the game on “older devices”. And it runs fine on my device. It seems to be a strange hardware issue (on my device the Bluetooth for some reason cannot activate, so these things can happen). Did you upgrade to the latest version of iOS? Did you try it out in Portrait mode, Or Landscape “upside down”? Please send your response to support@cope-com.com. Thanks, Martin

P.S. Happy to hear you otherwise seem to find the game great 🙂 but of course not fun it does not run properly 😦

2. Dirk says:

Hello,

is there a TV out version in production?
    I want to play BattleSquadron on my TV HDMI.
    I did it on my Amiga with PAL and HF-Modulator (some years ago) , too! 🙂

Amiga Rulez

• Zro Dfects says:

Hi Dirk,

I haven’t tried it yet since I don’t have the cable but I have been meaning to buy one, but apparently the IPAD2 has a tv-out cable which lets you plug into a HDTV, not sure if every single app will display but I can’t see why not. I really need to get hold of this cable.

Not sure about the Iphone though.

Zro Dfects.

Hi Dirk, Yes TV out is a great idea 🙂 and something we have thought about for a while. Initially, it was not an active feature on iOS devices, but I think that should have changed. There are however still some challenges in doing it, but it is good to hear that there is great interest 🙂 This can help us better prioritize the different new features we are considering. Martin

• Dirk says:

Hello,

this sounds very cool! 🙂
        I have found a Game “Chopper2” this game use the new iOS feature.
        look: http://tinyurl.com/6lj9k9o

iPod or iPhone only works as controller for the helicopter an the game is
        show on the big TV screen via HDMI cable or AppleTV wierless ! 🙂
        I believe this setup will very cool for BS, too! 🙂

• Zro Dfects says:

Hi Dirk,

Just an update on the TV out, not sure which platform you are refering to exactly, but I went out today and got a HD TV out connector for my Ipad2 to test Battle Squadron on a large screen Tv, I can tell you that it works beautifully with no delay whatsoever, Its an official Apple adapter which can also have a charger connected to it at the same time.

For a picture of it and some more info from me you can find it all on the 2nd best website in the world, this being the first 😛

Enjoy

Zro Dfects

• Dirk says:

Hi Zro Dfects,

yes with iPad2 you can use the mirroring function to play BS on TV.
        Mmmmh i have an iPhone4 witch not support the mirroring function by default. 😦

If you can add this to iPhone will great!
        And if you do so you can keep an eye to this amazing device: 🙂

100% Amiga feeling come true! 🙂

Hi Dirk, Thanks for the info 🙂 Ok, just to confirm, we now have the following on the todo list 😉
          iCade control
          60beat
          TV out
          We also have a Lite version of BS ONE coming out very soon, and there is also Hybris ONE lurking in the shadows, so a few things to do and prioritize.

Martin

Hi Zro, Amazing!! You have certainly proved yourself as our #1 on fan 🙂

I had totally missed this feature of the iPad 2, so fantastic to hear it work. As previously mentioned we did want to include this feature from the beginning for “all” devices, but it was not supported by iOS back a year ago. And thanks for the FaceBook post as well with all the details 🙂

Martin

• Zro Dfects says:

Hi Martin. Pleasure is all mine.

Any info I could hand out regarding many different ways to play your games I will surely test and provide any info I can.

Funny thing with your todo list, I too wouldn’t mind testing the 60 Beat controller which I assume will only work for one player since it connects through the headphones port (hence only 1 port). But each game itself will need to be programmed to use this controller as unfortunatly it isn’t a plug and play type thing.

I also wouldn’t mind giving the iCade a test run to see if the arcade controls work which I am sure they do since I have seen many games tested with it, I can’t say 100% of all games will work but only hope the important ones *coffs* Battle Squadron *coffs* Hybris :P. The good thing with iCade is you can still play in either portrait more or landscape mode.

I also know you can use multiple Iphones as controllers for the Ipad at the same time, again with the 60 Beat I think this needs to be programmed within each game but it would be some time before I get the chance to test it, I do know people with iPhones so maybe in time I could test it and give my feedback. You can even use 2 iPads as multiscreens for games too which again will need to be programmed. A cool and very expensive idea if you want to buy 2 iPads and 2 iPhones.

Thanks

Zro Dfects

Hi Zro, Thanks for that 🙂 There sure are a lot of cool things we would like to do with Battle Squadron… and future releases 😉 Like you said, they take time to programme, and some things more than one would initially expect. So it is always a balance between choosing which things to do first… and which things you think must people can use and have fun with 🙂 Martin

• Zro Dfects says:

That is exactly right, you don’t want to spend alot of time on areas that people will not be interested in, but with so many features in todays gaming consoles there will always be a trial and error involved.

But I personally agree with what is on your todo list, everyone would like to play on a large screen (tv-out) most people who grew up with handheld controllers are used to controllers so the ’60 beat’ would be a good start but who know what other controllers are lurking around the corners. I have Xbox360 Kinect and PS3 move and at the of the day I still prefer a controller in my hand.

Lastly the iCade is becoming more popular so there is a sign that this would be a good thing to work with and it has controls used by hand so as you can still see I think people would still prefer the controller, touch screens are a cool tech thing but me personally if technology is slowly erasing the handheld controller then I think alot of people will go back to retro gaming in my opinion.

Zro Dfects

3. Heiko says:

Game Design is Art!
    i guess in 1989 game coding was a bit like punk music:
    – do it yourself ethic
    – a small team working for a vision, not only for marketing purpose
    – a simple but effective gameplay
    – attitude, coolness and fun
    – even more attitude coolness and fun
    (and, unfortunately: distribution companies and copycats stealing your work and rip you off)

Thank you, thank you, thank you, game designers, for:
    – a well adapted gameplay for iPad & Co + a lot of new features
    – your taste: the original, feeling, original graphics and original music that made this game so great.
    Battle Squadron is a masterpiece!

Hi Heiko, Thanks for your post. Very nice to hear that you find Battle Squadron to be a masterpiece and like the conversion to iPad 🙂 Yes, it was indeed at very special atmosphere to create this game (and Hybris)… back in the late 80’es 😉 … all the points you mention are exactly correct with regards to how it was 🙂 … unfortunately also the distribution companies going bust 😦 But we still had great fun… then… and now!! 🙂

4. Andrea says:

Hi, I’m interested in BS One. Is it iCade compatible?
    Thx and Best Regards,
    Andrea
    from Italy

Hi Andrea. Great to hear you are interested in BS ONE. We do indeed have plans to include iCade control 🙂 For the version 2.0 we however had to delay it to have a release before Christmas. But it is very high on the list on things we will include 🙂 Martin

5. Conrad Helgesson (gvakum) says:

When to expect the next update?
    i want the original-themed menuscreen (can’t be hard to fix, i can do it if you like), evenharder-mode, smart recognice what side of the screen one clicks to fire so that the nonused side is available for movement when using the clickanywhereanddrag-mode for movement (that’s the only thing i want to make me start using fullscreenmode), fix rotation for menuscreen and/or highscorewindow on iPad…. Need to rotats the screen constantly atm…

• Daytona675xx says:

Yes, I especially second evenharder-mode. And the challenges, please.
      Oh, found a small bug: when you touch the “How to play” button the first page is skipped, if you don’t release your finger immediately.

Yes, Achievements will also be included… we will try to include some *amn hard ones 😉 If you have ideas not already posted here we would be happy to hear them…

Also, thanks for mentioning the “How to play” “double touch” bug… had missed this one 😉

• Conrad Helgesson (Vakum) says:

Another bug: i have seen an unkilled tank disappear from screen before it was meant to be removed. Perhaps 16 pixels before… I think (!) it was the last tank to the right just before the flat grey part at the end of the groundlevel… When the tanks comes out from the sides over the bridges.

• Conrad Helgesson (Vakum) says:

It is actually several more tanks, now when looking closer…

Hmmm, that was a rather mysterious bug that I did not see myself. Thanks for the specifics of where it happened… otherwise these things are like looking for a needle in a haystack 😉

Hi Vakum, After working on some other stuff I now had a chance to look at the “tank issue”. Actually, the word “tank” led me a bit in the wrong direction, since this is the enemy name I formally use for the “tanks” that come out of the hangars 😉 The ones you refer to are formally referred to as “trains” in the BS code (since they run on tracks). Simply speaking the “enemy routes”, which were designed manually 😉 ended just a few frames too soon. This means it was also an issue on the Amiga (as a few other minor bugs I have found in the code). These “routes” have now been extended. The “double touch” bug on “How to play” mentioned above has also been fixed. Thanks for the feedback 🙂

Hi Gvakum, Thanks for your input. Most of the things you suggest will be in the coming upgrade, including a bunch of other ones 🙂
      1) There will indeed be an even harder mode… also for Daytona 😉
      2) In the beta version we did actually have the buttons disappear if the they were untouched. There is very good reason to re-introduce this feature (it was “removed” when we included the panels).
      3) The menu screen can rotate and be seen in the two landscape modes. Due to the distortion of the picture (or large reduction in size) in portrait mode it is not so appropriate in my view. But maybe I don’t understand exactly what you mean?
      4) The high score screen stays in the latest orientation it was in during the game. Do you mean that it should be “rotatable”?
      5) I also “miss” the original settings picture a bit. By using this, there would however be no obvious space for the loader picture, which in my view should be included. Suggestions are most welcome 🙂

• Conrad Helgesson (Vakum) says:

I like the bg in the menuscreen as well, but i would do with a clickawayable splashscreen when starting the game. I don’t like the buttons at all atm, and the original menuscreen with the buttons would fit perfectly. Icons for setting difficulty,inputmode,soundmode, buttons for www,highscore,startgame etc could all fit perfectly in the oldstylethemed menuscreen as more pixlified icons :p

4) on iPad, when opening leaderboards popupwindow, this window is only in portraitmode and won’t rotate to landscapemode. This is anoying since the menu is in landscapemode.

Also did you find what tanks that gets removed to early? It is east to reproduce since you just avoid killing them while playing the game 🙂

• Hi Conrad,
          The debate on how the option menu should look like in the game vs. the original was fairly heavily debated during the long first beta round. The beta testers pretty much made the call in the end 🙂
          The original menu had to much mouse and f-buttons, that didn’t seem to fit the current smartphone GUI setup in terms of “touching the screen”. In other words there could be confusion among those players not familliar with the Amiga layout.
          Battle Squadron was famous for its ingame playability, look and feel and not so much the option-menu, although ofcourse important in those days.
          Since it is a part of the Amiga legacy one can never say never that it could not happen at some point. Right now there are more important hurdles to address within the game.
          Cheers and thanks for pointing out bugs etc. Keep it up 🙂

Regarding 4) and leaderboard rotation on the iPad (or iPhone), this is unfortunately not possible to implement easily, due to specific way the screen rotation is set up… it would require recoding of all the logic 😉 With regards to the tanks it is put on the todo list for the next release… a few other more “positive” improvement have higher priority right now, but thanks for making us aware of it 🙂

Share your views

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s